In this blog post, we will discuss various methods to stop Windows Update in Windows 10. While it’s not recommended to disable updates, as they provide important security patches and bug fixes, there may be situations where you need to temporarily stop them.
Method 1: Pause updates from the Settings app
This is the easiest and safest way to stop Windows Update for a limited period of time. Follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app by pressing Win + I keys or by clicking on the gear icon in the Start menu.
- Click on Update & Security.
- Under Windows Update, click on Advanced options.
- Enable the toggle under Pause updates. This will stop updates for up to 35 days.
Method 2: Disable Windows Update service
This method will completely disable the Windows Update service. Here’s how to do it:
- Press Win + R to open the Run dialog box, type services.msc and press Enter.
- In the Services window, find and double-click on Windows Update to open its Properties.
- In the General tab, change the Startup type to Disabled.
- Click Stop to stop the service if it’s currently running, and then click OK.
To re-enable the Windows Update service, simply follow the same steps and change the Startup type to Automatic.
Method 3: Use Group Policy Editor
If you have Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, or Education, you can use the Group Policy Editor to control Windows Update. Follow these steps:
- Press Win + R, type gpedit.msc, and press Enter to open the Group Policy Editor.
- Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update.
- Double-click on Configure Automatic Updates in the right pane.
- Select Disabled and click OK to disable automatic updates.
To re-enable automatic updates, follow the same steps and choose Not Configured or Enabled in the Configure Automatic Updates settings.
While disabling Windows Update is not recommended, these methods can help you pause or stop updates temporarily if needed. Remember to re-enable updates as soon as possible to keep your system secure and up-to-date.