Whether it’s friend suggestions, ad suggestions, or post suggestions, Facebook uses its algorithms to generate a personalized user experience. However, not everyone finds these suggestions useful or relevant. If you want to stop Facebook suggestions, this guide will walk you through the process.
Stopping Friend Suggestions
Facebook’s friend suggestions are based on mutual friends, work and education information, networks you’re part of, and many other factors. To disable these friend suggestions, follow the steps below:
- Open your Facebook app and tap on the three horizontal lines at the top right corner for Android or the bottom right corner for iOS.
- Scroll down and tap on ‘Settings & Privacy’, then tap on ‘Settings’.
- Under the ‘Privacy’ category, tap on ‘Privacy Settings’.
- Scroll down to the ‘How People Find and Contact You’ section and tap on ‘Who can send you friend requests?’
- Select the ‘Friends of Friends’ option.
Once you set ‘Who can send you friend requests?’ to ‘Friends of Friends’, this significantly reduces the number of friend suggestions you get.
Stopping Ad Suggestions
Facebook uses information from your profile and actions you take on Facebook to show you ads that are relevant to you. To stop ad suggestions, follow these steps:
Open your Facebook settings as described in the previous section. Then:
- Scroll down and tap on ‘Ad Preferences’.
- Tap on ‘Ad Settings’.
- Under the ‘Ads based on data from partners’ and ‘Ads based on your activity’ categories, select ‘Not Allowed’.
By doing this, you are limiting the data Facebook can use to show you targeted ads, which should reduce the number of ad suggestions you see.
Stopping Page and Group Suggestions
To stop getting page and group suggestions, follow these steps:
- Open your Facebook settings as described in the first section.
- Scroll down and tap on ‘News Feed Preferences’.
- Tap on ‘Manage Suggestions’.
- Select ‘See Fewer Suggestions’.
Note that this action might not entirely stop page and group suggestions, but it will significantly reduce the number you see.
The steps above should help you manage and reduce the number of suggestions you receive on Facebook. Keep in mind that Facebook is constantly updating its settings, so these steps may change over time. Always check the official Facebook Help Center if you’re unsure about any settings.