A covert narcissist is someone who has narcissistic tendencies but hides them behind a facade of humility and kindness. They may appear to be caring and empathetic on the surface, but underneath they are manipulative and self-centered. It can be difficult to spot a covert narcissist because they often blend in with their surroundings and seem like normal people.
Signs of a Covert Narcissist
- They are always the victim: A covert narcissist will often play the victim card, even when they are in the wrong. They will twist situations to make themselves look like the innocent party and blame others for their mistakes.
- They are envious of others: Covert narcissists are often jealous of other people’s successes and achievements. They may downplay or criticize others’ accomplishments in order to make themselves feel better.
- They have a sense of entitlement: Covert narcissists believe that they deserve special treatment and that the rules don’t apply to them. They may expect others to cater to their needs and wants without considering how it affects those around them.
- They are manipulative: Covert narcissists use subtle tactics to manipulate others into doing what they want. They may use guilt-tripping, gaslighting, or other forms of emotional abuse to control the people around them.
How to Deal with a Covert Narcissist
If you suspect that someone in your life is a covert narcissist, it’s important to take steps to protect yourself. Here are some tips for dealing with a covert narcissist:
- Set boundaries: It’s important to establish clear boundaries with a covert narcissist. Let them know what behavior is acceptable and what is not. Be firm but respectful in your communication.
- Don’t engage in their games: Covert narcissists often play mind games to manipulate others. Don’t fall for their tactics and don’t let them get under your skin.
- Seek support: It can be helpful to seek support from friends, family, or a therapist if you are dealing with a covert narcissist. They can offer advice and help you navigate the situation.
Spotting a covert narcissist can be challenging, but it’s important to be aware of their tactics and how they manipulate others. By setting boundaries, not engaging in their games, and seeking support, you can protect yourself from the harmful effects of a covert narcissist.