When designing your WordPress website, it’s essential to provide an excellent user experience for your visitors. One way to accomplish this is by allowing them to open certain menu items in a new tab. This can be particularly helpful if you’re linking to external websites or documents that you want your users to view without leaving your site.
In this blog post, we will guide you through the process of opening menu items in a new tab on your WordPress website. Let’s get started!
Step 1: Enable the Link Target Option in Your WordPress Menu Editor
First, you’ll need to enable the Link Target option in your WordPress menu editor. Here’s how:
- Login to your WordPress admin panel.
- Go to Appearance > Menus.
- At the top right corner of your screen, click on the Screen Options tab.
- In the panel that appears, check the box next to Link Target.
Now, the Link Target option will be available when editing your menu items.
Step 2: Set Menu Items to Open in a New Tab
With the Link Target option enabled, you can now set individual menu items to open in a new tab. Follow these steps:
- Under the Appearance > Menus tab, select the menu you want to edit from the dropdown list and click on the Select button.
- Click on the menu item you want to open in a new tab to expand its settings.
- Check the box next to Open link in a new tab under the Link Target section.
- Click the Save Menu button to save your changes.
Repeat these steps for any additional menu items you want to open in a new tab. Now, when your visitors click on these menu items, they will open in a new browser tab or window, allowing them to view the content without leaving your website.
Opening menu items in a new tab in WordPress is a simple yet effective way to improve your website’s user experience. By following the steps outlined in this blog post, you can easily enable the Link Target option and set individual menu items to open in a new tab. This will help keep your visitors engaged with your content and encourage them to explore your website further.