High Efficiency Image Format (HEIC) is a file format used for storing images, which offers better compression than
traditional formats like JPEG. However, by default, Windows 10 does not support opening HEIC files. In this blog
post, we will guide you through different methods to open a HEIC file in Windows 10. So let’s get started!
Method 1: Install the HEIF Image Extensions
The simplest way to view HEIC files in Windows 10 is to install the official HEIF Image Extensions
from the Microsoft Store. Follow these steps:
- Open Microsoft Store on your Windows 10 PC.
- Search for HEIF Image Extensions in the store.
- Click on the app and then click on the Get button to install it.
Once the installation is complete, you should be able to open HEIC files using the default Photos app in Windows
Method 2: Convert HEIC to JPEG using an Online Converter
If you don’t want to install any extensions or software, you can use an online converter to change the HEIC files
to a more compatible format like JPEG. There are several online converters available, such as
To convert your HEIC file to JPEG using this online converter, follow these steps:
- Visit aconvert.com.
- Click on Choose File and select the HEIC file you want to convert.
- Click on the Convert Now button.
- Once the conversion is complete, download the converted JPEG file and open it in Windows 10.
Method 3: Use a Third-Party Image Viewer
You can also use a third-party image viewer that supports the HEIC format. One such popular image viewer is
Here’s how to open a HEIC file using IrfanView:
- Download and install IrfanView on
your Windows 10 PC.
- Download and install the IrfanView Plugins from the IrfanView website.
- Open IrfanView and click on File > Open.
- Select the HEIC file you want to view and click on Open.
Now you should be able to view the HEIC file in IrfanView.
While Windows 10 does not natively support the HEIC format, you can use the methods mentioned above to open HEIC
files. Installing the HEIF Image Extensions provides the easiest solution, but you can also choose to convert
your HEIC files to a more compatible format or use a third-party image viewer.