In this blog post, we will walk you through the steps required to open HEIC files in Adobe Photoshop. HEIC (High Efficiency Image Coding) is an image file format used predominantly by Apple in iOS and macOS. As the name suggests, it’s a more efficient way of storing images, offering better quality and smaller file sizes compared to JPG or PNG. However, some software, like Adobe Photoshop, does not yet fully support the HEIC format by default.
Converting HEIC Files to JPG or PNG
The simplest solution to open HEIC files in Photoshop is to convert them into a format that Photoshop supports, such as JPG or PNG. There are many online tools and software that can help you convert HEIC files. An example of such a tool is CopyTrans HEIC for Windows.
Opening HEIC Files Directly in Photoshop
If you want to open HEIC files directly in Adobe Photoshop without converting them, you’ll need to install a plugin. One such plugin is HEIC plugin for Windows or iMazing HEIC Converter for Mac. Once you’ve installed the plugin, you should be able to open HEIC files directly in Photoshop.
Installing the HEIC Plugin
Let’s take a look at how to install the HEIC plugin on your computer:
For Windows users:
- Download the plugin from the official website.
- Unzip the downloaded file.
- Copy the .8bi file.
- Paste it into the Plug-ins > File Formats folder in your Photoshop installation directory. For example, for Photoshop CC 2019, the directory would be: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Plug-ins\File Formats
For Mac users:
- Download the iMazing HEIC Converter from the official website.
- Open the .dmg file and drag the app to your Applications folder.
Once the plugin or converter is installed properly, you should be able to open HEIC files with Adobe Photoshop without any issue. Remember, though: while these plugins allow Photoshop to open and edit HEIC files, they may not support all the features of the HEIC format.
We hope this guide was helpful for you. Stay tuned for more Photoshop tips and tricks!