If you are a regular user of Google Sheets, you might often come across situations where you need to merge cells together. This could be for a variety of reasons, such as creating a header for a group of columns, combining data from two cells, or simply for aesthetic purposes. This article will guide you step-by-step on how to merge cells in Google Sheets.
Basic Steps to Merge Cells in Google Sheets
To merge cells in Google Sheets, you need to follow these basic steps:
- Select the cells that you want to merge.
- Click the “Format” tab from the menu at the top.
- Hover over the “Merge cells” option. You’ll see three options: “Merge all,” “Merge horizontally,” and “Merge vertically.”
- Choose the appropriate option based on your needs.
Remember, if your cells already contain data, the Merge option will keep the top-left most data and discard the others. Ensure you backup any important data before merging cells.
Detailed Steps on How to Merge Cells
Here are the detailed steps to merge cells in Google Sheets:
- Open your Google Sheets document.
- Highlight the cells you want to merge by clicking and dragging your mouse over them.
- Click on the Format tab in the menu at the top of the page. This will open a drop-down menu.
- From the drop-down menu, move your cursor over Merge cells. This gives you three options to choose from:
- Merge all: This option merges all the selected cells into one large cell.
- Merge horizontally: This option merges the cells in each row individually.
- Merge vertically: This option merges the cells in each column individually.
Unmerging Cells in Google Sheets
If you need to unmerge cells that have been previously merged, simply follow these steps:
- Click the merged cell to select it.
- Go to the Format tab in the menu.
- Hover over the Merge cells option.
- Select the Unmerge option.
The previously merged cell will now be divided back into its original, individual cells.
Merging cells in Google Sheets is a handy feature that can help improve the presentation of your data. However, you should always make sure to backup any important data before merging cells. We hope this guide was helpful in understanding how to merge and unmerge cells in Google Sheets!