If you are a Mac user, you may have faced situations where you need to lock your keyboard to prevent accidental typing or to secure your computer when you’re away. This feature, absent by default on macOS, can be of great use, especially when you have kids or pets around who might accidentally hit the keyboard.
Methods to Lock Keyboard on Mac
So, how can you lock your keyboard on a Mac? There are few different methods, which will be discussed in this guide.
Using CleanMyMac X
One of the easiest ways is by using an application called CleanMyMac X. This handy tool comes with a feature that allows users to lock their keyboards with a few simple steps.
- First, download, install and open the CleanMyMac X app.
- Go to the Privacy module and choose the Lock Keyboard option.
- Select the time duration for which you want the keyboard to be locked.
- Finally, click on the Start button. Your keyboard is now locked!
Another alternative is a free tool called KeyboardCleanTool. This simple application is designed specifically to lock your keyboard on Mac.
Steps to use KeyboardCleanTool:
- Download and install the KeyboardCleanTool application.
- Open the app and click on the “Lock Keyboard” button.
- Your keyboard is now locked and will be unlocked when you click the button again.
// Sample code to lock the keyboard using CleanMyMac X CleanMyMacX cleanMyMacX = new CleanMyMacX(); cleanMyMacX.lockKeyboard(); // Sample code to lock the keyboard using KeyboardCleanTool KeyboardCleanTool keyboardCleanTool = new KeyboardCleanTool(); keyboardCleanTool.lockKeyboard();
Despite the fact that macOS does not come with a built-in feature to lock the keyboard, there are numerous third-party applications available to do the job. While CleanMyMac X and KeyboardCleanTool are two of the most popular options, there are plenty of others available on the Mac App Store.
Remember, whether you’re stepping away from your desk for a while or simply want to avoid accidental keystrokes, locking your keyboard can be a smart precaution to take.