Figma is a powerful design tool renowned for its versatility and ease of use. However, you may come across situations where you wish to use a specific font that isn’t native to Figma. This blog post will guide you through the steps needed to install fonts in Figma. Let’s dive in!
Using System Fonts in Figma
Figma automatically synchronizes fonts from your computer. You will have access to these fonts when you install Figma for desktop. Here is what you need to do:
- Download the Figma desktop app.
- Install the app on your computer.
- Open the file you wish to edit.
- Select the text layer (or create one).
- Open the text properties panel on the right side.
- Click on the font dropdown – your system fonts should be available in the list.
If you have installed a new font while Figma was running, you may need to restart Figma to see the new font.
Using Google Fonts in Figma
Figma doesn’t have built-in Google Fonts, but you can download the fonts from the Google Fonts website and install them on your system. Once installed, they will be available in Figma. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to the Google Fonts website.
- Select the font you wish to use.
- Click on the ‘Download family’ button to download the font.
- Unzip the downloaded file.
- Double-click the .ttf or .otf file and click the ‘Install’ button.
Using Custom Fonts in Figma
Installing custom fonts in Figma is a slightly different process. It involves uploading the font file to your system’s font directory, which will make it accessible in Figma. Here are the steps:
- Download the custom font file, usually provided in .ttf or .otf format.
- Open the downloaded file – this will open a new window that displays the font.
- Click the ‘Install’ button to add the font to your system.
Note: For Mac users, you need to open the ‘Font Book’ application and click on the ‘Add Fonts’ button. Navigate to your downloaded font file and click ‘Open’.
And voila! You now know how to install and use system, Google, and custom fonts in Figma. By expanding your font options, you can enhance your designs and make them more unique and attractive. Remember to always respect the licensing agreements associated with any downloaded font, especially if you’re using them for commercial purposes.