Microsoft’s Word is arguably the most used word processing software worldwide. It’s versatile, user-friendly, and packed with features that make writing, editing, and designing documents a breeze. If you own a Mac, you might wonder how you can use Word without having to pay for it. This step-by-step guide will show you how to get Microsoft Word for free on your Mac.
Using Office Online
The easiest way to use Word for free is to use Microsoft Office Online. This is a free, web-based version of Word that you can access from any device, including Mac, as long as you have an internet connection.
Here’s how you can use Office Online on your Mac:
- Open your preferred browser (Safari, Opera, Chrome, etc.) and go to www.office.com.
- Click on the “Get Office” button.
- Create a new Microsoft account or sign in with your existing account.
- Once you’re signed in, click on the Word icon to open a new document.
Using the Office 365 Education
If you’re a student or work in education, you may be eligible to get the entire Microsoft Office Suite for free through Office 365 Education. This includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, and Microsoft Teams. Here’s how:
- Visit www.microsoft.com/en-us/education/products/office.
- Enter your school-provided email address.
- Follow the instructions provided to verify your eligibility and set up your free account.
- Once your account is set up, you can download Word and other Office Suite apps directly to your Mac.
Trial Version of Microsoft 365
Microsoft offers a one-month free trial of Microsoft 365, which includes Word. After the trial period, you will need to pay for a subscription, but if you only need Word for a short time, this could be a good option.
- Go to www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/try.
- Click on the “Try 1 month free” button and follow the instructions to set up your free trial.
Remember that the trial version will ask for your credit card information. Make sure to cancel your subscription before the trial period ends if you don’t wish to continue.
While the full version of Microsoft Word requires a paid subscription, these alternatives allow you to use the software for free. So whether you’re working on a budget, or need to access Word on your Mac for a short time, these options make it possible.