PhpStorm is one of the most popular and powerful integrated development environments (IDEs) for PHP developers. It provides a plethora of useful features, such as code completion, refactoring tools, debugging functionality, and much more. However, PhpStorm is not free, and its pricing may not be affordable for everyone. So, in this blog post, we will go through some ways to get PhpStorm for free!
1. PhpStorm’s 30-day Free Trial
Before we dive into other possibilities, let’s mention the most straightforward way to use PhpStorm for free: the 30-day trial. If you haven’t tried PhpStorm yet, this is an excellent opportunity to check all its features and figure out whether it’s the right tool for you.
To get started with the PhpStorm trial, follow these simple steps:
- Go to the official PhpStorm download page;
- Download the version of PhpStorm suitable for your operating system;
- Install PhpStorm;
- When launching PhpStorm for the first time, choose “Evaluate for free” and click “Continue”.
PhpStorm will now be available to you for 30 days, with no limitations. This should give you enough time to evaluate the software and decide whether it’s worth purchasing or looking into other alternatives.
2. JetBrains Student License
If you’re a student, you’re in luck! JetBrains, the company behind PhpStorm, offers a program called JetBrains for Students. This program allows students to use all JetBrains products, including PhpStorm, for free.
To apply for a student license, follow these steps:
- Go to the JetBrains for Students page;
- Click on “Apply now”;
- Fill in the required information and provide proof of your student status;
- Wait for JetBrains to verify your eligibility and send you an email with the license information.
Once your student status is verified, you’ll have access to PhpStorm and other JetBrains tools completely free of charge for a year. This license can be renewed as long as you remain a student.
3. Open Source Project License
Are you working on an open-source project? JetBrains supports open-source development and offers free licenses for PhpStorm and other products to eligible open-source projects.
To apply for an open-source license for your project, follow these steps:
- Go to the JetBrains Open Source page;
- Click on “Apply now”;
- Fill in the required information about your project, including project description, website, and license;
- Wait for JetBrains to review your application and get back to you with their decision.
If your project is approved, you’ll receive free PhpStorm licenses for you and your team members to use on your open-source project.
In this blog post, we’ve explored three ways to get PhpStorm for free: the 30-day free trial, the JetBrains student license, and the open-source project license. These options allow developers with different needs and circumstances to try PhpStorm and benefit from its powerful features without paying the full price.
Remember always to respect JetBrains’ terms and conditions when using their products, as they invest a lot of resources in creating and maintaining these excellent tools for our benefit. Good luck, and happy coding!