Windows 11 is the latest operating system from Microsoft, and it brings a refreshed look and many new features. If you’re looking to perform a fresh install of Windows 11, this guide will walk you through the steps needed to get your computer up and running with the new OS.
Before installing Windows 11, you should ensure that your computer meets the minimum system requirements. These include:
- A compatible 64-bit processor with at least 1 GHz clock speed
- 4 GB of RAM
- 64 GB of available storage space
- DirectX 12 compatible graphics card with a WDDM 2.0 driver
- UEFI firmware with Secure Boot capability
- TPM version 2.0
If your system meets these requirements, you can proceed to the installation process.
Step 1: Download Windows 11 Installation Media
First, you need to download the Windows 11 installation media from Microsoft’s website. You can do this by visiting the Windows 11 download page. Click the Download now button to download the Media Creation Tool.
Step 2: Create a Bootable USB Drive
Once you’ve downloaded the Media Creation Tool, run it and follow the on-screen prompts to create a bootable USB drive. You’ll need a USB flash drive with at least 8 GB of storage space.
How to create a bootable USB drive:
- Open the Media Creation Tool and accept the license terms.
- Select Create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) for another PC and click Next.
- Choose the language, architecture, and edition of Windows 11 you want to install, then click Next.
- Select USB flash drive and click Next.
- Choose the USB drive from the list and click Next to start the process.
The Media Creation Tool will then download the necessary files and create a bootable USB drive with Windows 11 installation files.
Step 3: Boot from the USB Drive
With the bootable USB drive ready, restart your computer and enter the BIOS/UEFI settings. Change the boot priority so that your system boots from the USB drive first. Save the settings and reboot your computer.
Step 4: Install Windows 11
Once your computer boots from the USB drive, you’ll be greeted by the Windows 11 installation screen. Follow these steps to complete the installation:
- Select your language, time, and keyboard settings, then click Next.
- Click Install now.
- Enter your Windows 11 product key if you have one, or click I don’t have a product key to proceed without it.
- Select the edition of Windows 11 you want to install and click Next.
- Accept the license terms and click Next.
- Choose the Custom: Install Windows only (advanced) option.
- Select the drive where you want to install Windows 11. If necessary, delete existing partitions and create a new one. Then click Next.
The installation process will begin, and your computer may restart several times during this process. Once the installation is complete, you’ll be guided through the initial setup process, including creating a user account and customizing your settings.
Step 5: Install Drivers and Software
After completing the initial setup, you’ll be taken to the Windows 11 desktop. At this point, you should install any necessary drivers for your hardware, as well as any software you need.
Congratulations! You’ve successfully performed a fresh install of Windows 11 on your computer. Take some time to explore the new features and improvements that this latest OS has to offer. And remember, always keep your system up-to-date with the latest security patches and updates.