Posted on: today’s date
Are you facing the “xinput1_4.dll is missing” error message in your Windows 7? This is a common issue that many users experience, especially when trying to launch certain games or applications. This error message arises due to the absence of the xinput1_4.dll file, which belongs to the DirectX software collection.
In this blog post, we will provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to fix the xinput1_4.dll missing error in Windows 7. Let’s dive in!
Method 1: Download and Install the Latest DirectX Version
Since the xinput1_4.dll is a part of DirectX, downloading and installing the latest DirectX version can resolve the issue. Follow the steps below:
- Visit the Microsoft DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer page.
- Click on the Download button.
- Once the download is complete, double-click the dxwebsetup.exe file to launch the installer.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install the latest DirectX version on your computer.
- After the installation is complete, restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.
Method 2: Copy the xinput1_4.dll File from Another Windows 7 PC
If the problem persists even after updating DirectX, you can try copying the xinput1_4.dll file from another Windows 7 computer. Here’s how:
- Find a Windows 7 PC with the same system type (32-bit or 64-bit) as yours.
- On that computer, navigate to C:\Windows\System32 (for 32-bit systems) or C:\Windows\SysWOW64 (for 64-bit systems).
- Locate the xinput1_4.dll file and copy it to an external storage device (e.g., USB flash drive).
- Plug the external storage device into your computer.
- Copy the xinput1_4.dll file and paste it into the corresponding folder on your computer (i.e., C:\Windows\System32 for 32-bit systems, or C:\Windows\SysWOW64 for 64-bit systems).
- Restart your computer and check if the issue is fixed.
Method 3: Run the System File Checker (SFC)
Running the System File Checker can help you identify and repair any corrupted or missing system files, including xinput1_4.dll. Here’s how to run the SFC:
- Press Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the Run dialog box.
- Type cmd and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to open the Command Prompt with administrative privileges.
- In the Command Prompt, type the following command and press Enter:
- Wait for the SFC to complete its scan and repair any detected issues.
- Once the process is finished, restart your computer and check if the “xinput1_4.dll is missing” error is resolved.
We hope this guide has helped you fix the xinput1_4.dll missing error in your Windows 7 computer. If you’re still experiencing issues, it might be worth considering upgrading to a newer version of Windows, as Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft and may exhibit compatibility issues with certain software.