Google Sheets is a powerful tool that can simplify your work and increase your productivity. One of the many features it offers is the ability to autofill cells. Autofilling cells can save you from the monotonous task of entering repetitive data. In this blog, we will guide you on how to autofill Google Sheets.
What is Autofill?
Autofill is a feature that automatically fills in cells based on the patterns of your data. For example, if you have a column of dates and want to continue the sequence, you can use the autofill feature to automatically generate the next dates in the sequence.
How to Use Autofill in Google Sheets
Autofill in Google Sheets can be performed in just a few steps:
- Open your Google Sheets document.
- Select the cell with the value that you want to autofill.
- Hover your mouse over the bottom-right corner of the cell until you see a small blue box.
- Click and drag this blue box down the column or across the row to autofill cells with the pattern of your selected cell.
Using Autofill with Sequences
Google Sheets can recognize certain patterns and sequences, such as days of the week, months, or numbers in a sequence. To autofill a sequence:
- Enter the first two or three values of your sequence.
- Select these cells.
- Follow the same steps as above to autofill the rest of the sequence.
Autofill with Custom Lists
Google Sheets also allows you to create your own custom lists for autofill. This is particularly useful if you have specific sets of data that you use frequently. Here’s how you can do it:
- Click on File -> Spreadsheet settings.
- Go to the Custom lists tab.
- Add your custom list in the provided area, with each item in the list occupying one line.
- Once you’ve added your custom list, you can autofill cells using this list by typing the first item, and then dragging the fill handle as before.
The autofill feature in Google Sheets is a time-saving tool that can significantly streamline your workflow. Once you understand how to use it effectively, you can dramatically reduce the time spent on data entry and increase your overall productivity.